Setting up your Communicator
It’s important to set up your Communicator right away so it can send information collected from your implanted device to your healthcare team. Just follow the steps below to set up your Communicator using an internet connection with the USB Ethernet Adapter.
Where to place your Communicator:
- By your internet modem/router
- Near an electrical outlet that is easily accessible
- Close to where you sleep or near your bedside, within 10 feet (3 meters). If this isn’t possible, place your Communicator where you spend a considerable amount of time each day
- Where you can sit comfortably and see the front of the Communicator
- Where the Communicator and all its cables and accessories will be kept dry and not be exposed to humidity or potential water contact
Be sure to stay close to the Communicator while completing the steps below to ensure the best connection between your implanted device and the Communicator.
1. Attach the power cord.
Insert the power cord (included) into the jack as shown below and plug the cord into an electrical outlet that is easily accessible.
- The LATITUDE™ indicator will flash yellow for up to one minute.
- All the Communicator indicators will light for approximately one second.
- If the LATITUDE indicator is not lit, check that both ends of the power cord are plugged in firmly. Check if the light on the power cord is lit.
Important: For the following steps, be sure to use the Ethernet cable from the USB Ethernet Adapter Kit and not the telephone cord provided with the Communicator.
2. Insert the cable into the USB Adapter.
Insert the standard (narrow) end of the USB cable (included with the USB Ethernet Adapter Kit) into the USB port on the Communicator as shown below. Then, insert the square end of the USB cable into the opposite end of the USB Ethernet Adapter closest to the adapter light.
3. Plug the Ethernet cable into an Ethernet port.
Plug the Ethernet cable into an Ethernet port for your internet service, such as a modem, router or Ethernet wall jack. The USB Ethernet Adapter is properly connected if the green light in front id lit (solid or flashing).
4. Press the heart button.
When the “Heart Button” flashes, press it.
5. Watch your Communicator’s wave lights.
Your Communicator’s wave lights will flash green in sequence and repeat for several minutes. If you have previously completed initial setup, the “Heart Button” will not flash at this point.
If the wave lights are lit a solid green as shown below, your Communicator has successfully connected to the LATITUDE system. The lights will turn off automatically after two minutes.
Troubleshooting your device
If this process takes longer than several minutes, software download and installation may be occurring. Refer to the Software Download and Installation on page 35 of the LATITUDE Patient Manual to troubleshoot.
If the wave lights are not lit a solid green, refer to Troubleshooting on page 46 of the LATITUDE Patient Manual.