Strokes are underdiagnosed.
Many physicians and centers report stroke rates of 1% or less, but true clinical stroke rates are often far higher than recognized and reported.
The reality of stroke.
Any stroke can devastate your patients and their families. Even minor cognitive events can result in significant negative consequences on their quality of life. There are many subtle, often-undetected, clinically unrecognized signs and symptoms of post-TAVR strokes that can have far-reaching effects
The Reality of Stroke
New data shows low risk is still risk.
TAVR is expanding to increasingly broader patient populations and risk indications. However, the capture and analysis of embolic debris in low to intermediate risk patients had yet to be prospectively examined, until now.
The SENTINEL Low – Intermediate Registry:
Characterization of cerebral emboli capture using SENTINEL during TAVR1
STUDY DESIGN: N = 50 low-intermediate surgical-risk patients; Real-world, multicenter, prospective registry.
- Of 100 filters analyzed from 50 patients, debris was found in 100% (50/50) of patients*
- Debris type and size from low to intermediate surgical risk TAVR patients consistent in rate, type and particle size of captured debris in high surgical risk patients in the SENTINEL IDE Trial2
** Debris included arterial wall, acute thrombus, valve tissue, calcification and foreign material. Myocardium, organizing thrombus and necrotic core were observed less frequently. Majority (78%) of debris particles were 150-499 in maximum diameter; Larger size particles (≥1000), which can cause significant vessel obstruction, were present in 5% of patients.
1. The SENTINEL Low-Intermediate - Registry (LIR): Characterization of Cerebral Emboli Capture Using the Sentinel Device during TAVR in Low to Intermediate Risk Patients. Presented at CRT 2021 by Dr. Aloke Finn, CV Path Institute.
2. SENTINEL IDE Trial. Data presented at SENTINEL FDA Advisory Panel, February 23, 2017 .
The cost of stroke is high.
Not just in terms of your patient's quality of life, but in sheer economics.
1. Alqahtani F, et al. Clinical and economic burden of acute ischemic stroke following transcatheter aortic valve replacement. Structural Heart. 2018;3(1):72:73.