Y-90 Glass Microspheres
TheraSphere is a targeted HCC therapy consisting of millions of glass microspheres containing radioactive Yttrium-90 (Y-90). TheraSphere allows for personalization of treatment and greater flexibility by offering a multitude of standard and custom dose vial options to meet individual patient treatment goals.
Strike first with three distinct advantages. We have a proven therapy to fight primary liver cancer.*1-8 We deploy a custom personalized dose to extend life, to improve life. We act with expert precision.
TheraSphere has demonstrated success in a range of scenarios: single compartment or multi-compartment dosimetry, and using subsegmental, segmental or lobar approaches.1-8
Personalized dosimetry has a high correlation with overall survival.7 Each dose arrives ready to deploy and is calculated for each patient, every time. For maximum tumor response.
Shrink and destroy liver tumors with precisely formulated, highly powerful glass microspheres, deployed with pinpoint precision.
*Refers to HCC (Liver Cancer)
- Hilgard P, Hamami M, Fouly AE, et al. Radioembolization with yttrium-90 glass microspheres in hepatocellular carcinoma: European experience on safety and long-term survival. Hepatology 2010;52(5):1741–9
- Riaz A, Gates VL, Atassi B, et al. Radiation segmentectomy: a novel approach to increase safety and efficacy of radioembolization. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2011;79(1):163–71
- Mazzaferro V, Sposito C, Bhoori S, et al. Yttrium-90 radioembolization for intermediate-advanced hepatocellular carcinoma: a phase 2 study. Hepatology 2013;57(5):1826–37
- Vouche M, Habib A, Ward TJ, et al. Unresectable solitary hepatocellular carcinoma not amenable to radiofrequency ablation: multicenter radiology-pathology correlation and survival of radiation segmentectomy. Hepatology 2014;60(1):192–201
- Salem R, Lewandowski RJ, Kulik L, et al. Radioembolization results in longer time-to-progression and reduced toxicity compared with chemoembolization in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. Gastroenterology 2011;140(2):497–507
- Lewandowski RJ, Kulik LM, Riaz A, et al. A comparative analysis of transarterial downstaging for hepatocellular carcinoma: chemoembolization versus radioembolization. Am J Transplant 2009;9(8):1920–8
- Garin E, Tselikas L, Guiu B et al. Personalized versus standard dosimetry approach of selective internal radiation therapy in patients with locally advanced hepatocellular carcinoma (DOSISPHERE-01): a randomised, multicentre, open-label phase 2 trial. Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2021, 6: 17-29
- Salem R, Gabr A, Riaz A, et al. Institutional decision to adopt Y-90 as primary treatment for HCC informed by a 1,000-patient 15-year experience. Hepatology. 2017 Dec 1.