Diversity & Inclusion
Diversity & Inclusion at Boston Scientific
Diversity is one of our 6 core values that Boston Scientific is built on. Our site strategy pillar of “Inclusive Winning Teams” recognises the importance of engagement and recognition of all our people on site. This pillar reflects that our success is built upon our people’s commitment to achieving results and it is our job to allow everyone to bring their authentic self to work. Since 2014 we have launched 4 Employee Resource Groups (ERG) to build upon our diversity and inclusion programs. These range from the Women’s network, Young Professional Network, LEAD (Leadership, Education and Allies for disabilities) and most recently Pride (Promoting Respect, Inclusion, Diversity and Equality).
We also have a Charity Committee, Sports & Social Committee & STEM team (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths). Employees sign up on a voluntary basis and all groups have sponsorship & representation from the site leadership team.
All 7 of the above-mentioned employee engagement teams sit on the overall site D&I team and collaborate on initiatives and projects with the overall goal of building an inclusive environment in BSC Clonmel.
Leadership, Education and Allies for disabilities (LEAD)
LEAD promotes the inclusion and celebration of people with any disability to be empowered to bring their “whole selves” to work.
We raise awareness for issues specific to people with disabilities in the workplace and community while creating allies and sustaining a safe environment where we can learn, teach and share resources for individuals, customers and allies.
The Women’s Network (WN)’s vision is to be the voice for women and promote gender equality, at all levels within Boston Scientific, by creating a culture that empowers women to reach their maximum potential.
We strive for this vision by hosting events to inspire and develop women, by facilitating programmes such as Mentoring for all employees and by creating a support network on site.
We endeavor to enhance the work environment so that women can bring their whole selves to work and achieve their potential.
Young Professional Network
PRIDE’s vision is to create an environment where the LGBTQ+ community and Allies are confident to bring their best self to work.
We bring together a supportive network of employees who regularly discuss issues affecting the LGBT community, mentor each other, and collaborate on key business objectives.
We support building a culture that fosters dialogue on the value of diversity and inclusion through mentoring, special events, and educational outreach across the company.
Our Diversity and Inclusion vision and strategy
The incredible innovations we’ve made for patients worldwide all come down to the ideas, talents and tenacity of colleagues from all backgrounds. By nurturing a culture of collaboration, with a rich and diverse range of perspectives, we’ve created a more rewarding place to work. And by uniting in our shared vision to improve lives by advancing science, we’re seeing extraordinary results.
We’re dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment and sponsor a number of employee organizations and programs that reinforce our high performance culture, such as employee resource groups, training and professional development, mentoring and networking opportunities, career and succession planning, and community outreach.
Employee Resources Groups
If you’re ready to lend a hand, you can contribute to any one of our groups:
- BRIDGE – ‘Developing a Community of Black Leaders’ - Making connections across cultures and supporting employee development.
- HOLA – ‘Hispanic Organization for Leadership & Achievement’ - Celebrating Latino culture by building community and promoting the BSC brand.
- LEAD – ‘Leadership, Education and Allies for Disabilities’ - Building a team to help educate, engage and inspire greatness for everyone.
- PEARL – ‘Pacific East Asian Resources in Leadership’ - Celebrating and promoting the Asian heritage at work and the community.
- SAIL – ‘South Asians in Leadership’ - Connecting and sharing the South Asian culture.
- VETS – ‘Veterans & Employees Together in Service (Military)’ - Cultivating an atmosphere of gratitude and service to others.
- WOMEN’S NETWORK – ‘Professional Development and Advancement of Women’ - Promoting the health and education to support all women.
- YPN – ‘Young Professionals Network (Generations)’ - Volunteering and serving in the global communities we serve.
Our dedication to a diverse and supportive culture doesn’t stop with our employees. At Boston Scientific, we embrace the unique differences of communities around the world and we support many organizations within the communities in which our employees live.
Global STEM Initiative
Bridge to the Future
Bridge to the Future is a STEM outreach program for high school aged black students. Our volunteer coaches meet monthly with students and provide professional and personal learning opportunities and advice. Students involved in the program receive mentoring throughout their STEM college career and are provided with internship opportunities at Boston Scientific. After four years of involvement with this great program, our first students are now graduating college!
Close the Gap – Health Equity for Life program
Close the Gap aims to eliminate health disparities, helping to ensure all patients receive optimal healthcare regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity or primary language.
Learn more at www.yourhearthealth.com.
It’s not just our own people that have seen our dedication to diversity in the workplace. Boston Scientific has been recognized with the following workplace awards:
- Disability Equality Index (DEI) Best Places to Work - with a 100% score (2017, 2016)
- Latina Style’s 50 Best U.S. Companies for Latinas to Work (2017, 2016, 2015)
- Human Right's Council (HRC) Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality – with a 100% Score (2017, 2016, 2015)
- Top supporter of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (2016)