We know it is important for physicians and doctors to always stay up to date with new medical treatment options and the development of medical devices that can improve and save patients’ lives.
Therefore, we are committed to not only supporting you in enhancing your knowledge of treatment options in your field of interest, but also giving you opportunities to train, use and test our devices, supported by one of our representatives.
You may have been in contact with Boston Scientific Corporation (“BSC") or one of the company’s representatives about new therapies or the medical devices your hospital, your department or your private practice could benefit from. This privacy notice seeks to inform you on the processing / recording of your personal data as a potential user of our medical devices or a referring physician for medical therapies valuable for your patients.
When we refer to BSC, we mean Boston Scientific entities located in Europe acting as data controllers. A list of BSC European entities can be found here.
Personal data collected, purposes and legal basis
We will create a leads or referral account and will record the following information, as applicable:
- Basic contact information (name, email address, and phone number if provided)
- Billing information which may include your HCP registration number or tax ID number.
- Information about your profession, specialist area, and role within your organization.
- Your interactions with information about BSC as further explained below.
We may use your personal data for the following purposes:
- We want to ensure that we are supporting you adequately, and we would like to do this by tracking your interactions with our teams. By interactions, we mean the different actions you take when you receive information about BSC. In this sense, we intend to record your interactions such us your registration to marketing emails and newsletters, participation to medical events, webinars or trainings of or funded by Boston Scientific, perception of our products. This will allow us to better understand your expectations or possible topics of interest so that we can provide you with a more personalized content based on our understanding of your interests. To this extent, we may use profiling to optimize and personalize our relationship and information that we make available to you meaning that we may use automated processing tools in order to manage and adjust the type, content and frequency of specific communication for specific segmented groups. BSC will only process your information for this purpose based on your specific consent.
- Communicate with you when necessary, including but not limited to sending you product updates, newsletters, marketing communications, invitations to events medical trainings, discussing your therapy awareness needs as well as your preferred medium of interaction. We may contact you by different means including but not limited to electronic means. We rely on your consent for the processing of your personal data for this processing activity.
- Since we may also invite you to events (including for speaking) or arrange meetings with you to discuss Boston Scientific products and/or services, we may need to process your personal data to conduct internal and external reporting or for auditing fees and expenses in connection to e.g., your participation as speaker in a given event, collect your feedback regarding BSC products etc. The legal basis for this processing activity is our need to comply with legal obligations applicable to BSC.
We retain your personal data while your account is active, as long as you are registered to our marketing emails or newsletters or so long as you are a potential customer or a referring physician. In case you remain inactive for four years, we may remove you from our database. You can choose to object to this processing at any time.
Access to your personal data and security measures
Boston Scientific processes your personal data in good faith, lawfully, and in compliance with all applicable data protection laws. Any data related to you will be treated as strictly confidential. Boston Scientific also ensures that appropriate technical and organizational security measures are taken to protect your data against accidental loss, misuse, unauthorized access, modification and damage.
Your data will be accessible to the companies of the Boston Scientific Group and Boston Scientific Corporation, where this is necessary to manage the prospect relationship with you or your referring physician role. Please see a list of BSC entities here.
Your personal data will be also accessible to third party service providers of contact management platforms acting solely on behalf of the Boston Scientific Group for the purposes explained in this notice as well as to conduct internal and external audit reporting.
We collect, store and process your personal data on servers located in the United States. To transfer personal data from the European Union to the United States, Boston Scientific has implemented EU Standard Contractual Clauses between its EU, Swiss and US entities and with the above service providers as well as additional safeguards such as encryption for data in transfer. If you would like more information please reach out to our Data Protection Officer following the contact details set out below.
Every marketing emails or communications, including any newsletter or educational letter, from Boston Scientific contains instructions on how to opt-out of receiving further similar communications from us. You would receive such communications because you have specifically registered to receive them.
You may manage your receipt of marketing and non-transactional communications by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link located on the bottom of Boston Scientific marketing emails. You can also exercise your right to erase all your information (i.e. so called “right to be forgotten”) in the preference center.
In general, you may update or change your registration data by editing your user record on our websites.
Your privacy rights
Where applicable, you have the following rights:
- Right of access: you have the right to obtain confirmation as to whether or not your personal data is processed, and, if so, to request access to the personal data held on you;
- Right to rectification: you have the right to have inaccurate personal data about you rectified or completed if it is incomplete;
- Right to erasure: You have the right to have your personal data delated.
- Right to restriction of processing: you have the right to request from us that we limit the way we use your personal data.
- Right to withdraw consent: you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time with future effect. Such a withdrawal will not affect the lawfulness of the processing prior to withdrawal of the consent nor of continued processing activities that are not based on consent.
- Right to object: you have the right to object, on grounds relating to your particular situation, at any time, to the processing of your personal data; and we may have to stop processing the data unless it demonstrates compelling legitimate grounds for the processing which override your interests, rights and freedoms or for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims; you also have the right to object to the processing for direct marketing purposes.
You may exercise the rights above or revoke at any time the consent you provided to the processing of your personal data via the marketing emails you receive from us (under unsubscribe button) or by filing a request to our European Data Protection Officer at EuropePrivacy@bsci.com or by filling the data subject form.
Finally, please note that you have the right to lodge a complaint with the data protection authority of your country [see EU list] where you believe that your rights have been violated.
If you want to direct any data protection-related issues, questions, comments or complaints to BSC by using the contact details below:
Boston Scientific - DPO
c/Ribera del Loira, 46 Edificio 2
28042 Madrid (Spain)
Updates to this Notice
BSC may update this Notice. We will notify you prior to the changes, where required, of material Notice changes via your account email address or by a Site notice.
This Notice was last updated in April 2023.