LATITUDE® Patient Management System
A Patient Experience
The Hanvey Family
“At a track meet, we started getting worried that Randy was having an arrhythmia. But we came home, put him on the LATITUDE Communicator, he got checked, and everything was OK.”
- Your LATITUDE System >>
- Devices Used with the LATITUDE System >>
- Remote Device Checks >>
- Questions for You >>
Your LATITUDE System
The LATITUDE system allows your healthcare provider to check your device between follow-ups. In addition, remote monitoring can support more timely and extensive care for your heart health.
- From the patient’s home, the LATITUDE system uses a Communicator that can sit at your bedside to monitor your cardiac device and transmit information through your regular landline phone or cellular connection.
- Your information is sent to a secure website that only your health care support team can view.
- Your healthcare provider can intervene sooner and make changes when they are needed.
If prescribed by the health care provider, some patients may also use the optional LATITUDE Heart Failure Management System to monitor heart failure status. This system includes:
- Blood pressure monitor
- Weight scale with alert capability
- Device diagnostics
- Symptom self-report questions on the Communicator
The most important factor that determines the monitoring system you will use for your device is what you and your doctor decide.
Receiving the Equipment at Home
Your LATITUDE Communicator will be sent to your home. When it arrives, it is important to set it up right away. This allows your healthcare provider to begin monitoring specific information about your device and heart health.
The equipment comes with complete set-up instructions, including a video that will walk you through the set-up process, a detailed patient instruction manual, and an illustrated quick reference guide.
If you have any questions about setting up or using your Communicator, you can talk with a Boston Scientific Patient Services Representative by calling 1-866-484-3268.
The LATITUDE Communicator is easy to set-up and use. A power cord and telephone landline is all you need to connect. It is recommended that your LATITUDE Communicator stay near your bedside.
Your LATITUDE Communicator can be configured to:
- Complete remote follow-ups scheduled by your physician.
- Remotely monitor your device on a daily and weekly basis in between follow-ups.
The type of Communicator you receive depends on the kind of cardiac device you have implanted.
The Wanded Communicator
You will use a wand with this device to check your device. The blinking button – the action button – will remind you when it is time to transmit your information according to a schedule set by your physician.
The Push Button Wireless Communicator
You will push buttons next the screen to use this device. Device checks are done automatically.
The Touch Screen Wireless Communicator
You will touch the screen to use this device. Device checks are done automatically.
The Wave Wireless Communicator
Once set up, device checks are done automatically.
Devices Used with the LATITUDE System
The LATITUDE system can be used with virtually all of Boston Scientific's implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICDs) and cardiac resynchronization therapy defibrillators (CRT-Ds) and Boston Scientific's newest pacemakers and CRT-P devices.
- An ICD device treats abnormal fast arrhythmias in the heart's lower chambers (ventricles).
- A CRT-P device is a bi-ventricular paceamker for heart failure patients.
- A CRT-D device is both a bi-ventricular pacemaker and defibrillator for specific heart failure patients.
You can find out if your implantable device can use the LATITUDE system by talking with your physician or calling us at 1.866.484.3268.
Remote Device Checks
Your healthcare provider may configure the LATITUDE Patient Management system to check your cardiac device in two ways:
The Communicator can conduct your follow-up in the convenience of your home. You will still need periodic in-office follow-ups. Your clinic will talk to you about a schedule that is right for you.
In addition to your regular follow-ups, your physician can monitor specific device information and your heart health in between follow-ups. This can be done once a week or daily (only patients with wireless devices can have daily monitoring).
You can check the complete list of devices to see if your cardiac device will work with the LATITUDE system.
Questions for You
As you explore the possibility of using LATITUDE remote monitoring in your home, your healthcare provider will want to discuss several important topics with you; from your heart health and the type of device you have to where you live and whether you have easy access to a standard phone line or cellular connection.
Questions to answer may include:
- Do you have a standard phone jack in your home?
- Do you travel frequently to locations without phone service?
- Is it convenient to travel to your healthcare provider's office?
- What kind of implanted device do you have?
Boston Scientific offers technical support through the Patient Services Hotline. Whether you have a question about the correct set-up and operation of your LATITUDE Communicator, traveling with your Communicator, or other LATITUDE-related topics, a friendly and knowledgeable Patient Services Representative is available to help when you call 1-866-484-3268.