Benefits of Rezūm™
- Effectiveness : -10.1points (46.7%) IPSS improvement maintained through 4 years.2
- Durability : 4.4% surgical retreatment rate over 4 years.2
- Flexibility: Ability to treat prostates with hyperplasia of the lateral lobes, central zone and/or a median lobe.3
- Quality of Life: Preserves sexual function.4,5
- Safety: Does not require general anaesthesia.6
- Improvement: Noticeable symptom relief within two weeks.7
- Normality: Ability to return to regular activities within a few days*. 8
*Dependent on individual clinical situation and healing response.
Technology animation video
Powered by convective water vapour energy, the Rezūm™ System delivers targeted, controlled doses of stored thermal energy in water vapour directly to the region of the prostate gland, with the obstructive tissue causing lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS).
Each 9-second treatment uses 0.42ml of heated sterile water vapour, which rapidly and uniformly disperses through the tissue interstices. The condensation of water vapour releases stored thermal energy. Cell membranes are denatured, thereby causing immediate cell death, the vasculature is closed, and there is denervation of the alpha-adrenergic nerves within the treatment zone providing you with an efficient, uniform, predictable treatment.
Over time, this ablated tissue is reabsorbed by the body’s natural healing response, reducing the volume of tissue, allowing the urethra to open and thus relieving LUTS.
The Rezūm System is indicated to relieve symptoms, obstructions and reduce prostate tissue associated with BPH in men with:
- prostate volume ≥30 cm3
- prostates with hyperplasia of the central zone and/or a median lobe
The use of the Rezūm System is contraindicated for patients:
- With a urinary sphincter implant
- Who have a penile prosthesis
- Who have an active urinary tract infection
Potential risks include, but are not limited to:
- Painful urination (dysuria)
- Blood in the urine (hematuria)
- Blood in the semen (hematospermia)
- Decrease in ejaculatory volume
- Suspected urinary tract infection (UTI)
- Urinary frequency, retention or urgency
Interested in learning about Rezūm™?
Find out when Boston Scientific performs their next live surgery and see how the technology is used throughout the procedure.