Pancreatic Cancer Symptoms & Diagnosis
Initially patients with pancreatic cancer may not present with symptoms. The classic symptom of pancreatic cancer is painless jaundice, a yellowish skin discoloration. Once the disease progresses, additional symptoms may include1:
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
Pancreatic cancer is often diagnosed in later stages, after patients already start experiencing symptoms. Often, patients are diagnosed with pancreatic cancer after undergoing4:
- Imaging tests , such as a CT scan or MRI
- Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) procedure, a nonsurgical, minimally invasive procedure that uses high-frequency sound waves to produce detailed images of the gastrointestinal tract and adjacent organs
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) procedures
- ERCP with Cholangiopancreatoscopy, which provides direct visualization into bile ducts and the pancreas
- Blood tests
- Biospy, or removal of tissue for testing
The SpyGlass DS System
The SpyGlass DS System is used by gastroenterologists to visualize areas of potential concern in the bile ducts and pancreas. The system features high resolution imaging, enabling physicians to see inside these tiny ducts to take biopsies of suspicious tissue and fragment stones that may cause a blockage.
Expect Endoscopic Ultrasound Aspiration Needles
- National Pancreas Foundation. www.pancreasfoundation.org
- Web MD. http://www.webmd.com/cancer/pancreatic-cancer/digestive-diseases-pancreatic-cancer
- The Lustgarten Foundation. www.lustgarten.org
- MD Andersen Cancer Center.http://www.mdanderson.org/patient-and-cancer-information/cancer-information/cancer-types/pancreatic-cancer/diagnosis/index.html.
- American Cancer Society: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/pancreaticcancer/detailedguide/pancreatic-cancer-treating surgery; http://www.cancer.org/cancer/pancreaticcancer/detailedguide/pancreatic-cancer-treating-chemotherapy
"I am passionate about finding a cure for pancreatic cancer because it took my father. I don't want others to have to endure what my father went through for 20 months without being cancer-free in the end."
Sales Training Manager
Urology and Pelvic Health Division
"With both my mother and brother diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, I made a promise to do everything I could to prevent this disease from claiming a third generation in our family."
Sr. Marketing Communications Manager