heart icon

Who treats CAD?

Don’t let CAD hold you back. Make sure you’re talking to the right doctor at every point in your CAD diagnosis and treatment to make sure you’re on the right path.

Internal medicine/general practitioner

When experiencing CAD symptoms, you should first talk to your internal medicine doctor or general practitioner. Your general practitioner will help you recognize CAD symptoms and will consult with a general cardiologist after he or she lands on a preliminary diagnosis. They may then refer you to a more specialized cardiologist for treatment or further assessment.



General cardiologist

Your internal medicine doctor or general practitioner will refer you to a cardiologist. A cardiologist is a doctor who diagnoses and treats heart diseases. A cardiologist will confirm or deny your CAD diagnosis after performing a series of tests, and can work with an interventional cardiologist to determine the best treatment for you. Your cardiologist may refer you to the interventional cardiologist or a cardiac surgeon for further testing and a treatment plan.

Interventional cardiologist

When deciding what treatment choice is best for you, you will work closely with an interventional cardiologist. An interventional cardiologist is a heart doctor who specializes in minimally invasive percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) procedures like stenting and angioplasty. An interventional cardiologist will determine which type of treatment suits you best, and can refer you to a percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) specialist for an advanced percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) assessment.

It is important that you talk with your doctor about which treatment is the right one for you and that you understand all of the risks and benefits.

doctor icon
doctor icon

Percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) specialist

A percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) specialist is a heart doctor who knows percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) treatment and procedures the best, and is highly trained in complex cases. The PCI specialist is there to determine which minimally invasive percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) procedure is right for you.



Resources and Support

Take the Treatment Quiz

Take the Treatment Quiz

Take an interactive quiz to find out which treatment options might be available to you

Download Discussion Guide

Download Discussion Guide

Use this simple discussion guide to start a conversation with your doctor

Talk to a Patient Educator

Talk to a Patient Educator

Learn more about CAD and treatment options call (844) 346-8581