We understand that chronic pain and neurological diseases can be debilitating for patients. That’s why we’re dedicated to working closely with both physicians and patients to develop meaningful, industry-leading solutions that improve the quality of life for millions worldwide.
Delivering Meaningful Innovation
Spinal Cord Stimulation
Chronic pain is a widespread problem with 1 in 5 adults in Europe. 100 million people suffered of Chronic Pain, and 9 women are more likely to be affected by Chronic Pain than men1. Boston Scientific SCS Systems are designed to help maintain therapy over time. Our advanced technologies help adapt the stimulation, which may help maintain the therapy that people with SCS receive.. At the heart from this system is the proprietary Illumina 3D™ Algorithm - the first and only programming algorithm based on a 3D anatomical model. Illumina 3D Technology has proven to provide 70% better low back pain relief than our previous generation system2. In the last 2 years, the Illumina 3D Portfolio grew to include Precision Novi™, the smallest, thinnest high-capacity non-rechargeable device. Since November 2017 Precision Montage™ MRI SCS system powered by Illumina 3D™ Algorithm is compatible with our full portfolio of leads for broader access to Full Body MRI and Multiwave™ Technology3.
The Precision Spectra™ SCS System with Image Ready™ MRI Technology Is "MR-Conditional" only when exposed to the MRI environment under the specific conditions defined in the Image Ready™ MRI Guidelines for Precision Spectra Spinal Cord Stimulator System.
The Precision Montage™ MRI SCS System provides safe access to full-body MRI scans when used with specific components and exposed to the MRI environment under the defined conditions in the ImageReady MRI Full Body Guidelines for Precision Montage MRI Spinal Cord Stimulator System.
Deep Brain Stimulation Therapy
Movement disorders associated with Parkinson’s Disease, Dystonia and Essential Tremor can significantly impair daily living and quality of life of those affected. There is no cure for movement disorders but their symptoms can be managed8.
The Vercise™ DBS System portfolio offers a range of state-of-the-art DBS treatment options, offering physicians and patients a platform that best suits their needs whilst benefiting from some of the most advanced stimulation technologies worldwide. In late 2015, the innovative Vercise™ Primary Cell (PC) DBS System and the Vercise™ Cartesia Directional Lead together formed the first directional DBS system to receive CE mark for the treatment of Parkinson's Disease, primary and secondary Dystonia and Essential Tremor. They are now complemented with the Vercise™ Gevia DBS System. The Vercise Gevia IPG with Cartesia Directional lead form the first MR-Conditional Directional System. The system features the Vercise™ Neural Navigator 2 with STIMVIEW Technology, programming software which, for the first time, allows clinicians to visualize the stimulation field while configuring DBS stimulation programs for patients9.
Conditions We Treat
Solutions We Offer
1. Breivik H et al. Survey of chronic pain in Europe: prevalence, impact on daily life, and treatment. Eur J Pain 2006;10:287. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16095934
2. Boston Scientific LUMINA data presented at the 19th annual meeting of the North American Neuromodulation Society
3. Boston Scientific news release: Boston Scientific launches the Precision NOVI™ Spinal Cord Stimulator System in Europe
4. Boston Scientific news release: Boston Scientific Receives U.S. FDA Approval for Precision Montage™ MRI Spinal Cord Stimulator System
5. Red Balloon Project Press Release. 2016. http://theredballoonproject.eu/assets/pdf/PR_RedBalloon_BSCI.pdf. Last Accessed March 2017.
6. International Neuromodulation Society (INS). Spinal Cord Stimulation's Role in Managing Chronic Disease Symptoms (2016). http://www.neuromodulation.com/spinal-cord-stimulation. Last accessed March 2017.
7. Coenen VA1, Amtage F, Volkmann J, Schläpfer TE, Deutsches Ärzteblatt International 2015. 112(31-32):519-26.
8. European Parkinson’s Disease Association. Treatment and therapies. Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS). Accessible at: http://www.epda.eu.com/en/pd-info/treatment-and-therapies/?Opentab=c1,4#c1 accessed November 14, 2016.
9. Boston Scientific news release: Boston Scientific Receives CE Mark for Vercise™ Gevia™ Deep Brain Stimulation System.
10. Skogseid IM. Dystonia – new advances in classification, genetics, pathophysiology and treatment. Acta Neurologica Scandinavica 2014;129(s198):13-19.
11. Zesiewicz TA, et al. Overview of Essential Tremor. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat 2010;6:401–408.
12. Institute of Medicine Report from the Committee on Advancing Pain Research, Care, and Education: Relieving Pain in America, A Blueprint for Transforming Prevention, Care, Education and Research. The National Academies Press, 2011. http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=13172&page=1 http://www.nap.edu/read/13172/chapter/2. Accessed March 25, 2016.
13. Parkinson’s Disease Foundation. Statistics on Parkinson’s. http://www.pdf.org/en/parkinson_statistics. Accessed March 28, 2016.