A number of treatments are available for AF. Your doctor will help you choose a treatment based on your heart’s rhythm, your symptoms, and any other medical conditions you may have.
No matter which AF treatment you receive, the goals may include:
- Regaining normal heart rhythm
- Controlling your heart rate
- Reducing stroke risk
A Left Atrial Appendage Closure (LAAC) Implant is a non-drug option to reduce stroke risk for AF patients who are considered suitable for warfarin but have reason to seek an alternative.
- Atrial fibrillation can cause blood to pool in an area of the heart called the left atrial appendage (LAA)
- If a blood clot travels through an artery to the brain, it can cause a stroke
- Blood thinners, such as warfarin, can reduce stroke risk, however these medications may not be well tolerated by everyone
- An LAAC implant closes off the left atrial appendage to reduce stroke risk
Talk to your physician to see if an LAAC implant is a suitable treatment option for you.
Did You Know?
People with atrial fibrillation have a 5X greater risk of stroke.1